Re: [RC] Cold Weather Riding - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

I'm not too terribly far away from you Barbara, in Lodi, CA amongst the gazillion grapevines on flat land. It rained really hard here, but it's still pretty warm outside by many others standards on this board. The thermometer on the back porch reads 43 as I type this. The sun is shining and it would be a great day for a ride. But I haven't ridden all week, trying to catch up with my work from being gone for Grand Canyon. But I have nothing to complain about!! :) Jackie

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Cold Weather Riding

From a ridecamp reader and contributor who is fascinated with weather in other parts of the country (and world), would folks who send in descriptions like that below please identify their state and general location within that state?  I enjoy sitting here when it's pouring rain and reading about someone in the SW who is enjoying the sun.  Conversely, I enjoy a warm, sunny day and reading about a blizzard in the Midwest.  I just love weather!

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 7:18 AM
Subject: [RC] Cold Weather Riding

Hi, It has cooled down a lot here in the last week,way colder than usual for this time of year. We have had a lot of rain and some snow. I took my gelding out for a nice ride yesterday, it was damp out and in the low 40's with a slight breeze. We probably went about 10 miles with a lot of steep hills and mud, so it was a different and difficult ride since we havent seen mud for about 7 months. Anyway he worked up a good sweat, drank from puddles and seemed fine. When I got home I rode him in the field at a walk for about 1/2 hr. (took the pup, shes learning about horses).  Put him up. Came out to feed about 2 hrs. later (4:30) and he was still a little wet with sweat and was shivering in the hind end. His muscles were not hard but he just seemed to have a little chill. As soon as he started eating he seemed to quit shivering. My question is how do I handle this. I really dont want to blanket him. I have one more ride I wanted to attend and dont know how to handle the cold. Thanks