Re: [RC] The Sultan's Slave Trade - Susan, Princess of Pink

I don't think it's a question of naivity.  It's a question of humanity.  I've had to sit here and seriously think how I'd feel were I an international competitor.  I would hope I'd have the guts to stand up and do what's right.

I've known of the travesties going on for ages now.  Just because these acts are condoned in their culture and religion doesn't make it right.   Furthermore, as has already been pointed out, it's agains international law.

As a group participating in international sport, we must consider the implication of supporting these cultures who treat human life with little or no value.  That is what this thread is about; put your money where your mouth is.  We aren't  "surprised" by the way humans act; on the contrary, many of us are sickened and mortified by these barbaric actions.
I doubt the barbarians will ever agree with us.  If all the civilized communities boycott the events in the countries that participate in inhumane practices, they'd go ahead and have their party without us.  They don't need us; we don't need them.

Antonio_Corbelletta@xxxxxx wrote:
Hi All,
Boy where do I start...First off I am surprised that so many folks are so
naive regarding that part of the world and that religion. The practice of
slavery has been going on there for centuries and is condoned both
culturally and religiously. Look at what is going on in the Sudan. In
that part of the world, life, human or other wise is not valued as we value
it. Have any of you heard of "suicide bombers"? The mothers of these fine
examples are very proud and happy to give their children up for the
"cause". Heck, if they are perfectly willing to blow up innocent people
anywhere in the world for whatever the cause may be, what makes you think
they are going to give a rat's about have some kid piloting a camel. Just
look at the results when the grown ups pilot planes...
There are something like 12 to 14 active wars/conflicts going on in the
world right now, all of them involve the Muslims not being able or willing
to get along with their neighbors or other religions. That should tell you
something of the mind set.
As far as participating in the UAE events, maybe a very small step in
getting them to see things from a western point? When they came to Tevis
they must have seen that we got something better going on here, maybe...
Tony Corbelletta

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)