Re: [RC] Horse won't drink - Becky Rohwer

Why don't we retitle this subject "Horse Won't Drink When I Want Him To".....?

A horse ("brought along" correctly) will drink when they drink.
If it isn't at a time optimum to successfully do whatever is being asked of it, then (after enough attempts) find another horse who can, who will.

If I was moving cattle for several days and my horse didn't drink or eat (read, "take care of himself properly to do the job we need to do"), I guarantee you I'd be riding another horse when next we moved cattle for several days.

~Frank

Great answer Frank.  When I first started riding my mare in endurance it was not unusual for her to NOT drink at all during the first loop how ever long it may have been.  Mare has learned now that if water is available she should get a gulp or two.  Even if it is just to make me quit pushing her head down at the trough, stream, pond, what ever.  This summer mare even drank at a couple rides before we even left camp before the first loop.  I was shocked and delighted.  But I think it basically comes down to a horse learning to take care of themselves as endurance horses and not passing up opportunities when we as riders give them those opportunities.  You just can't make them drink or eat, you can only lead them to it.

Becky R. - Montana