RE: [RC] Oxygenated Blood Flow, Temperature Differentials, Breatheability - Libby & Quentin Llop DVM

Dear Friends:

       I was asked by Richard Sacks of Equipedic, by phone, & others by e-mail
evaluate the 'science' behind the Equipedic pads.

       First let me say that I have not seen the pad.  My statements are
purely an
evaluation of the possible validity of the physics of the mechanism that is
offered by Equipedic, Mr. Sacks' verbal description, and Holofiber &
Equipedic on their websites.

A. The beads:  Mr. Sacks described beads that liquefy from the horse's heat
and resolidify from cooling from the top of the pad as providing a cooling
advantage to the pad.  I found this argument totally without merit, as the
flux of heat thru the pad must be a net of zero, i.e. the heat coming in
from the horse must pass out somewhere else.  The presence of beads in
solid, semi liquid or transitional form is irrelevant to that.

B. Holofiber: The 'scientific' tests of the fiber are currently unpublished;
my comments refer to the statements made on the news & media page of
holofiber's website, http://www.holofiber.com/news_news0604MTI.asp.

1) It is claimed that incident light is important for the functioning of the
fiber.  It is immediately apparent that the this is not a factor in a saddle
pad. (A photo of a golfer wearing a T-shirt is shown.)

2) It is claimed that energies from the body and the outside light are
transformed by the fibers into a wavelength that is used in the Krebs cycle
to create biochemical energy.  (The would be converting animals to plants,
because it is claiming photosynthesis.)  As the action of the Krebs cycle
uses oxygen, I find it inconsistent that it is claimed that the above
mechanism promotes the 'oxygenation' of the dermis.

3)The term 'oxygenation' I have not seen defined.  Once it is defined, an
explanation needs to be given how it is important to the functionality of
the saddle pad.

C. Conforpedic:  The claim that the material both fills in the voids between
saddle and horse and moves with the horse, as the horse strides, is
contradicted by the photo on Equipedic's website:
http://www.equipedic.com/Confor-Pedic.htm, which shows an hand lifted off
the material and the imprint remaining.  The shape of an horse's back
changes dramatically in the time frame of under one second.  The visco
elastic polymer clearly has too slow a response curve to do that.

Truman's comments about experiments testifying to the coolness of the
Supracor are consistent with our experience.  The best testing offered by a
manufacturer that I have seen is on the First Thought Equine (FLAIR)
website, http://www.flair.uk.com/flair/flair%20frame.htm.  There they showed
the results of continuous pressure monitoring on the flat at different
speeds and over fences.   We have to be very careful in interpreting results
from human experiments.

Quentin