Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Oxygenated Blood Flow, Temeprature Differentials, Breatheability

Either I missed something - but there was no mention in any of the research of "breathability" nor of heat transfer from the back of a horse in the research listed on the referred to website.. Breathability and heat transfer are different issues. Breathability is normally associated in allowing water vapor to escape and heat transfer is normally associated with the transfer of hear from one object to another or the surrounding environment.

Both of these can be of importance to the endurance horse, but particularly heat transfer from the large area of the back to the environment is very important.

If you have reports results from instrumented test performed by independent researches, I'm all ears.

Truman

Ridecamp Guest wrote:
Please Reply to: Richard Sacks rsacks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To Jonnie Jewell, the Lop's and others.

I am the President of Equipedic and the designer of the pad. The studies on oxygenated blood flow were performed By Dr. Lawrence Lavery (when he was at Chicago Loyola Medical) on subjects who had vascular impairment and by Texas A&M on general popluation subjects. The results indicated a 8-12.5% increase in oxygenated blood flow for those who had vascular impairment vs. control and 10.5 to 29.97% for general population vs. control on. This study was done on behalf of the manufacturer, Hologenixs, LLC (www.holofiber.com). The temperature differentials were tested by the US military and the the manufacturers. The base fiber(phase change material)for temperature modulation is  used in bullete proof vests, helmets, clothing and gloves in military and law enforcement applications. The testing was performed in a heat chamber at 95 degrees and 95% humidity using thermocouplers. The results showed as much as
 13 degree differental for helmets and as much as 7 degrees for vests when compared to control. The test were performed under activity for periods of 1 hour.