[RC] selenium - larry Miller

Kim, you need to have a selenium test done on your horse by drawing blood.  Normal runs between 130 - 180.  Endurance riders like to see the level on the high side of 180 and over.  If the horse is low, get the shots.  One vet told me 10 points per shot but I would guess that depends on the horse.  This spring, my mare's selenium level was 103.  I knew better, I had 3 shots given to her, changed to a selenium supplement that she would eat and I am guessing that she is fine since my mare never experienced tight muscles after that.  But the bottom line is this, you won't know where your horse is at until you test again.  Jeanie