Re: [RC] Saddles,Saddles,Saddles HELP ME!!!!!!!! - Peggety123

Try a Sommer - the Evolution Western.  I have one and the great thing about it is that it has an adjustable gullet - easy to do, not like a Wintec.  Just 2 screws...I have a narrow high withered Arab that I can adjust it for - on the narrowest setting - he was tough to fit as well - he moves nice in this saddle - big difference from my other endurance saddle which is a Big Horn - though it fits other horses we have nicely...just not a narrow horse. The medium setting on the Sommer works well for my other Arab w/ average withers....It also has a nice narrow twist and gives you loads of contact w/ the horse...I've got the western fenders on mine so my calves don't get pinched.  I too, used to ride english, and I really like the seat on this one.
Another thing I notice w/ this saddle is how much better my horse travels down hills.  It doesn't interfere w/ his shoulders and the flexible panels move with him.  This would be especially nice on a gaited horse (I also have a Foxtrotter).
Here's a link for you to read about them.

I purchased mine from Auburn Tack and Feed in Auburn California.  They don't have a website.  They also sell them at Trumbull Mountain Saddlery in Vermont and they have trial saddles for you to test....here's their website:

Good luck!  I've been there w/ the "saddle fitting blues" too, but don't give up!

Peggy Eaton
West