Re: [RC] Unabashed plug for helmets - Elite

I have a friend that is a local barrel racer.  Over the years she has taken some bumps to the head (like most of us).  But this spring while she was sitting on her horse outside of the gate at a show, a rider and horse ran into her, knocking her and her horse over.   A month or so later she started suffering from severe headaches.  They became worse and worse, and she made a few trips to the ER, just to be sent back home with some meds.   She went to the University of Tennessee hospital and after some tests they discovered she has a blood mass in her head.  It is a large mass running from the forehead to the base of the skull (like a mohawk).   They found this the first few days of July and she spent all of July in the hospital, trying to reduce the swelling.  They ended up putting a tub in from the base of the skull, down the spine, and through to the stomach area to drain.  There has been very little reduction in the swelling and they say it may take up to a year for all swelling to go down.  Although she is home she suffers from severe headaches many days and is nauseous a lot of the time.  They check quite often for permanent damage done to her vision from the pressure and she is now suffering from seizures.   She has lost a lot of weight and her muscles are atrophying.   She has given up hope of ever riding again because she is told that another bump to the head would probably cause her to have a stroke.   But right now would be very happy to just have her "old life" back again.   The doctors say that this could be from one incident or cumulative.    So, even if we "think" we didn't get hurt, did we?   Anyway..  it doesn't even have to be your horse that causes the accident, it could be someone elses.

Linda