Re: [RC] Many saddles... still a sore back - need advise (little long) - Chris Paus

Have you and the horse seen your own chiros?

I know that my own body gets way out of alignment and
my horse is the first to tell me! I can tell that
there are dry spots and soreness on his back when I'm
out of kilter. I go to the chiro and get fixed and my
horse's back problems improve!

You might need to abandon English saddles and go to
western or flex tree if this is a problem. It may be
that the saddles just don't have enough weight bearing
surface to make your horse comfy.

Did your dressage instructor give you stretching
exercises for your horse? Those can be veryhelpful.
Also, re-evaluate your dressage program. I highly
recommend dressage training for any endurance rider or
any rider, but unfortunately, there are those
instructors who simply want to force the horse into a
frame via the head and don't really work on the hind
end engagement where the balance comes from.

Make sure that your instructor is one of the latter
not the former!

Other than that, keep trying saddles! I've tried 16
saddles on my main riding horse and finally found one
that he likes. It's not perfect, but he lets me know
he's not happy if I put any other saddle on him. I
prefer to ride English, but this is a custom made
western endurance saddle that he likes. I've
"Englishized" it by taking off the western fenders and
putting on stirrup leathers which give me more
flexibility and don't torque my bad knee so badly...

Oh, and I don't think they are ever "done growing" As
they are fitted up during the season, their backs
change. Take time off, and they change again. I
actually have summer and winter tack for my boy for
when he's fit and not so fit.

Hope these ideas help.

chris
--- Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Please Reply to: S. Smith
shayne.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This year I have been struggling with saddle fit for
my 10yr old gelding.  He finally grew out of his
previous saddle we have had for 2yrs.  This is our
fourth endurance season, and we are finally done
growing!!

Problem is... I have tried 4 different saddles this
year with no luck.  My gelding keeps coming up sore
on his loins on both sides.  He is "short-backed"
and I am very aware of the types of saddle I try.

I have tried Wintec, Soltice, RP and KL Select.  All
saddles seem to fit fine at first (2months) and then
continue to make him sore.  Time off and try again?

We regularly keep up with Dressage lessons for
balance, flexibility and strength.  And we don't
over do any rides.  We mid pack and have approx 600
miles under our belts.

I have asked my loacl vet to check out any leg
problems as well.  None.  My farrier is a great
farrier, no foot problems.  My gelding does not have
a lot of whithers (crupper needed).  And we have NO
white hairs anywhere.  It's just sore when we bath
or scrub down an hour after a ride.  Gone the next
day.

Any suggestions out there?  Very frustrated.

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus