Re: [RC] horse ivermectin for dogs?OT - Bette Lamore

Funny story about human meds:
I always had 500 tablet plastic jars of SMZ's around in case any of my foals came down with a bronchial infection-- common when weaning if there is a lot of weather change between day and night -- that is when I was breeding for clients who wanted foals in spring which put weaning time when days were very hot and nights cool. Soooo here I was on Christmas Eve with a bladder infection but I had already had one months ago and had used SMZ's for that. Knowing that doctors' offices were closed during the holidays, I called the doctor to ask if I could go on the same meds. He said yes and asked if I needed an Rx and I replied no, as I had some on hand. He asked how many and I replied-- around 500---- he literally gasped on the phone and asked how many bladder infections I would typically get in a year. Trying to control my laughter, I explained about the horses. One thing that is interesting in cross using meds is that they frequently work on different parts of the body in different species. Although SMZ's are the best remedy for a bladder infection in humans, they do not do much for bronchial infections, whereas in the horse, SMZ's are frequently the first line of attack for those types of infection as SMZ's are a broad spectrum antibiotic. One has to be careful in choosing meds because of the different applications.
Bette, who fortunately hasn't needed SMZ's in a long time for horses or me :-)

DaNel Resha wrote:
When my cat was sick the vet used several human medicines for her.  He also told me that horse wormer is what us mostly used to worm dogs, cats, and it is all in the does.

He even figured out for me the dosage to demite my hampsters from a cat medicine.

I believe medicines can help many different species if you know how to properly figure the dosage.

DaNel Resha
www.Darswinkles-Delights.com

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani <msgabbani@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm the last person to flame you for this. We use human meds for our
dogs, cats, horses whatever because that's what we have and horse meds
for other beasts if they work. Find out what the mg/kg or mg/lb dosage
is and then how much of the ivermectin wormer would contain that
dosage. We do this all the time. The liquid is often the easiest.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
www.alsorat.com
http://miloflamingo.blogspot.com
On Oct 15, 2004, at 6:02 PM, Laurie Durgin wrote:

> Ot- sort of , though there is a connection, if you have time to read
> this and don't mind answering so I don't have to go sign up and find a
> dog board...etc. etc. etc.
> For those who have to be frugal, but still want to care for your
> pets (but are surrounded by high dollar pet vets, where people
> rountinely spend hundreds per visit) and I am paying off several human
> ER visits, and surgeries ...(and my daughters free lease horse is back
> and we have to feed and suppliment him now too...again)
> How much ivermectin/either horse paste or liquid would you give per
> 10 lb. monthly to protect from heartworms do you give --either in cc
> or ml. or teaspoons and how much margin do you have?
> I understand vets earn their money, but the drug processing cost and
> having to buy it from a vet and then having to take each dog in, etc.
> I need to find an alternative if I am going to be able to protect
> them. Just like shots, I give those too. I can't afford to feed the
> "pet as child industry", Heck I can't afford the "child industry" for
> my kids either!
> I just want to common sense advice/help....
>
> And please don't flame me today for I am having my midlife crisis
> now, thank you......

> Ride Long and Ride Safe!!

DaNel Resha
Darswinkle's Delights

www.darswinkles-delights.com  for gift giving needs
www.my.tupperware.com/Darswinkle  for tupperware

Do you Yahoo!?

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)