[RC] Was Marla's Mystery/Now, Covenant of the Wild - Dabney Finch

Your observations speak to the core of the message of his books.  Animals
chose to be domesticated as much as man chose to domesticate them.

This rings so true! And I have some evidence to support it....(warning: off topic).

Gary and I started feeding a big ugly black furry feral full-grown cat down by our tack shed about 7 years ago because I wanted a "barn cat" to control mice. At first he would run when he saw us coming from 1/4 mile away, but he was hungry and we kept the meals small and frequent, so eventually he allowed us to touch him...pet him....name him Jesse...

After that it wasn't too long before Jesse appeared at the front door to our house and darted inside when we opened the door. We'd put him back outside, and he'd do it again....until we gave up and let him stay inside. After that he never showed any interest in going outside again.

Once I got mad at him (when he peed on my brand new down comforter) and I tried to throw him out of the house. ("if you're going to act like an outdoor cat you can just live outside.") Jesse dug his heals in and would not budge out of the house, even with all the doors open and me yelling at him!

Needless to say, he's still here, lording it over the entire place. He has also figured us out so well he's socially very savvy and affectionate, and has trained us that he gets play time from me in the morning, from Gary in the evening, and lots and lots of petting and sweetalk in between....

So there you have it. Guess we have to add "cats" to the dogs and horses that have decided being domesticated's a pretty darn good life!