Re: [RC] [RC] Marla's Mystery Ataxia Part, Covenant of the Wild - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Your observations speak to the core of the message of his books.  Animals
chose to be domesticated as much as man chose to domesticate them.  Both
species get a lot out of the relationship.  The easiest way to see this is
to look around the world and ask if the strategy has been successful?

In North America wolves are endangered, while their close relatives the
domestic dog is around in the 100's of millions.
The wild horse is rare all over the world, and non existent in North America
(no matter what we would like to believe, the so called "wild horses" in
North America are feral horses.  They are the descendents of domestic horses
that escaped, or were turned loose by people.).  The domestic horses are
present on all continents (except Antarctica), in millions.

Of course, Bob and others are right that the genetics of the horse cause
problems in endurance riding.  There are two possible solutions.  The one
that will pay off in our lifetimes, is to learn how to better manage, train,
feed and treat endurance horses.  The other is to continue the genetic
engineering, that has been going on since 3000 BC, to make the horse more
suitable for our needs.  I would love to return in a couple thousand years
and find out what endurance horses will be like then.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875