Re: [RC] Treatment - heidi

As an ex-ride manager in PS, I've seen what happens when a ride has
considerably hotter (maybe coupled with higher humidity) weather than
normal, and that's the only time I've observed horses being treated
beyond the *occasional* one or two--we do NOT have a rep in this region
for lots of treatment.

Bingo, Lynne.  Having vetted one of your hottest, most humid events that
left us all scrambling, we had remarkably few on jugs even then.

Yeah, it's October, some of them are getting
fuzzy--but the course ideally should be do-able within the total time
allowed even with hot weather, and then it's rider responsibility.

Again, bingo.

Problems with the markings have to be considered also, people reported
doing extra miles as a result--and some of those riders pulled their
own horses knowing they'd done as much as could be expected.

Poor marking is beyond rider control--and kudos to those who realized it
was taking its toll and pulled.  But again, this is not what one should
find at an event billed as a championship.

I am not in favor of the head to head competition format due to the
geography challenge (only those who can afford to take the time off for
the long haul can compete, or locals) and the risk to the horses.

This is what is so ironic.  THIS system is the one that caters to those
with large pocketbooks--and yet it was the old system that took the rap
for same.  With the old system, very middle-class folks with not-very-fat
wallets could compete--sure it took sacrifice, but success at ANYTHING
takes sacrifice.  Nonetheless, a national placing was far more attainable
for a middle-class working stiff than it is now (unless, as you say, you
happen to be a "local" the same year your horse is hot), simply because
many would have no job to come home to if they took the sort of time off
that is needed for horses to safely haul long distances and compete at the
other end of it.  Never mind the risk of "race fever..."

Heidi