Re: [RC] Treatment/Nat'l Champ. Quals - Barbara McCrary

I have to agree with Maryben.  I absolutely cannot remember who has been in the championships since the format changed.  And now that there are several different weight divisions, it's even more confusing.  I know most people will think that weight divisions make everything more fair, but it also makes the national championship less notable (to me.)  I personally don't think the prestige is there anymore.  And MB, don't forget Tracy Slater, who won HER championship on a QH, albeit a running-type.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Treatment/Nat'l Champ. Quals

In a message dated 10/13/2004 1:22:42 PM Central Daylight Time, dabneyesq@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
My understanding of the NC format change was that the mileage thing had become a "trailer race" (or, in Trilby's case "plane race") in which only those with endless time and money had a competitive chance.  That and the thought that a head to head is more interesting and fun to watch.
I can assure you that when Becky and Joe were running for the national championship, that was not the case.  From personal experience, we often picked Becky up at work at 6:30 and drove in their "old blue" with a two horse trailer to the ride.  I know that Becky and Courtney did not have "endless time and money" and I am pretty sure that if Joe sees this he will chime in.  As far as Trilby's race went, Trilby worked about 23 hours a day so that she would be able to go to the rides and she certainly does not have endless time and money.

The Champions of those days mostly sacrificed a lot to be able to go to the rides.  I had 3 or 4 juniors become national champion and they made a lot of sacrifices too.

I once challenged the BOD to tell me who the 10 national champions of the past year were and they could not do it.  I can tell you who the 1980's champions were because back then it actually meant something to the THE national champion, not one of 10.  Off the top of my head without looking I remember, Becky, Darolyn, Brenda and quite a few others.................mb