Re: [RC] Treatment/Nat'l Champ. Quals - Truman Prevatt

This was most likely an anomaly. This is the 6th running of the NC and I don't believe there has been such a problem prior. Before we throw the "baby out with the bath water" some understanding needs to be developed as to why this happened.

Many factors could have come into play, from hotter than normal weather, a course that combined with abnormal weather presented a high risk situation to the horses, insufficient water on the course for both drinking and sponging, etc. There is a reason this happened this time and didn't happen in NM (2 years), Kentucky (2 years) or NV.

Truman

As long as NUMBER OF MILES completed is the barometer as to whether a horse is qualified to COMPETE in a National Championship Endurance RIde, I believe those horses will continue to have problems, regardless of venue.

I am sure not every horse and rider showed up at Warner Springs with the "intent" of Top Tenning or Top Five, but as long as SPEED is used to gage the TOP endurance horses in the country (at rides such as a National Championship), DISTANCE horses will (sometimes) find themselves competing in an arena and an effort foreign to them.

Could be, eh?
~Frank

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."