[RC] [RC] Spooks - sherman

Oh yes, I make sure the horses can't get their heads stuck in them. I gather up the closed end, tie it with hay twine, and hang it on the fence or stall bars. They can get their nose in if they try really hard, but, the open end is always loose for them to pull out of. Inside the stalls, I weave large beet pulp bags thru the bars, and they really like to play with & smell those. The bags also make lots of noise when they pull on them and sometimes they pull them down & stomp on them trying to get something out of it.

I have been known to tie milk cartons onto my saddle (in the round pen), starting with just one, then, when they're accustomed to the noise & bouncing around of that,  adding another. I did plastic bags on the saddle, too. Gets them ready for carrying a bouncing scoop and rain slickers. I had to do all these things when I got a mustang who was (not anymore) very spooky & would bolt at the sound of a snapping branch or a bird fluttering. She rarely spooks anymore and doesn't  bolt if she is scared, just does a small side step.

Kathy
Grass Valley, CA

Denise wrote:
She spooked on me from my rain poncho I forgot to introduce her to. She bolted and I couldn't
stop her. She ran straight through a barbed fence and we went down. Thank
gosh for those helmets!!!

So, we are starting to do some of this spooky stuff again. I like the tarp
idea with hay on it. I think I will try that. Also, the feed bags as well.
Do you hang the feed bags so they don't get there head stuck in them? I will
be careful with that one...tehehe. Don't want to spook her out of the
pasture blindly...jeezz. That's all I need.

Denise
KY