[RC] Oops--more Talladega - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Deb Ambrose mkkgs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry--Back to camp and out for the only (for us) fast loop, a
14 mile set of switchbacks traversing a ridge and following a
meandering stream.  This we could trot!  I imagine the front
runners must have blasted through this!  On we went, back for
another 40 minute hold, and back to the wicked 18 mile first
loop.
 The biggest thrill for me was to feel Lippy attack the graded
gravel road with the same willingness as the first time.  We're
not fast, but at times like this, I can feel him working with
me, one ear back on me, wanting reassurance, trying to please.
It's humbling to hear his footfalls, working for my pleasure.
I was glad the water was cool and plentiful at the top.
 Back to camp after a knee-knocker trail along a ridgeline,
and he thought he was done.  Sorry, Lip.  7 more miles.  The
sun faded to twilight, and then quickly to dark under the
canopy of oaks.  The horses found their way at a walk in to the finish.
  I was delighted to finish sound, quite near the tail of the
pack.  This was our 7th ride, and in the days since I've
re-lived sections of the trail, much like our first ride,
remembering what he felt like and how thrilled I was.  I'll
never take our nice sandy, packed roads for granted again!  It's
nice to know how the other half lives.  My hat's off to those
who ride this terrain regularly.
  It was a great experience.  My thanks to Joe and Tamra, for
wonderful management, and the terrific vets.  It was worth the
drive.

Deb Ambrose & Lippy
365 miles