[RC] [RC] National Championship Results?????? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kirsten Seyferth scatris@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Since no one has posted anything so far, I will attempt to shed some light into
the outcome of the National Championship 50 (disclaimer: no guarantee on race
results. I was sitting to far in the back at the awards, and I have bad hearing
anyway, nevertheless here is what I caught:
The 50 on Sunday was won by Charlene Lewis on her horse, TR Hayhook Hobo around
1:45 pm. Charlene also took 1st MW. I'm not sure in which order the other
riders came in, but I think Gesa Brinks was 1st LW, Evelyn Marshall (I think...
no guarantee) took 1st FW and Crockett Dumas 1st HW. Linda Morelli I'm pretty
sure got BC since she carried away that beautifull saddle. Somewhere around 68
riders and horses started and 53 finished, not bad compared to the outcome of
the 100 on Wednesday, which might have had the after-effect that more riders in
the 50 chose a rather conservative pace. Plus, the weather on Sunday was
perfect, cool and overcast in the morning, sunny in the afternoon and it never
got much warmer than lower 80s.
A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who helped bring this AERC Championship
together!!!! Ride Manager Terry Wolley Howe, well known in the Pacific South
region for putting on the best rides with the most volunteers, the best food,
the greatest awards etc., out-did herself at this Championship. All starters
received beautifull, personalized embroidered travel-bags filled with all kinds
of unique and usefull goodies. Lynne Glazer took photos before and during the
ride, which were framed for completion awards. And the weight division awards
were gorgeous, handmade pottery by a local artist. During the ride, there were
an abundance of helpers at the VCs, more waterstops than anyone could wish for,
plus the famous "aide-stations" with home-made chocolate chip cookies and other
goodies. The trail was challenging with a variety of terrain, and was well
marked. And of course the venue (private resort with hot minreal pool etc.) -
it could have not been any better!
I finished in the back of the pack at 5:30pm with my horse, Joey, who got As
all day and never knew that this was a "Championship"(...who said that everyone
was there to compete and not complete? :-)  We rode with Marci Cunningham and
Dave (sorry, forgot your last name) for most of the day and took it pretty
easy.  We even almost missed the cutoff time at one of the VCs. In return, the
veterinarian at the lunch check told me that I'm "understressing" my horse...
<g>  Terry's rides are to much fun to go fast. Fortunately, it's only 3 more
month 'till January and the next Warner Springs Ride.
Kirsten Seyferth
Topanga, Ca