Re: [RC] Resting Heart Rates - DVeritas

Hi Pattie,
    23 bpm is a very good resting heart rate.
    I have come to find out that what might just be of more importance, however, is how quickly an endurance horse can actually RECOVER to whatever its resting heartrate is, particularly during an endurance ride that is more "race" than "ride".
    A horse that can be ridden in the way, and still recover quickly could have a resting heartrate higher than 23 and still be the quicker through the vet checks due to other factors (stroke volume, heat dissipation, etc.).
    So, that said, I'd still like the horse with 23 bpm resting heartrate better than one with a 60 bpm...BUT I'd always consider the other important factors that make up the platform of a quality endurance mount.
~Frank