Re: [RC] sponsoring minors - Chris Paus

Thanks. I love all this talk about juniors and
sponsoring. I'm preparing my 9 YO grandson to start
distance riding next spring. He's had a horse at
grandma's for ages, but hasn't been really interested
in doing much riding til now.

I'd put him up for a lesson and in 5 minutes, he was
whining that his butt hurt, LOL....

Then this summer, the cutest little 9YO girl came over
for lessons. Amazing how John changed! tee hee... He
wanted to show her everything.. how to tack up, clean
out hooves, etc...

Now he wants to ride! We went horse camping recently
and he rode for 2 hours one day and nearly 2 hours the
next day. He's great at horse care.... feeding,
watering, etc.

His horse is my sweet little gelding Zabbie that I
talk about. I really trust that horse with kids.

John has a great seat. He's really learned well and
he's an athletic kid, but we're working on confidence
issues. I think the long trail rides in the woods have
helped that. Now it's getting him to ride more at a
trot. I keep thinking, if he was a little girl instead
of a boy, I'd probably be telling him to slow down,
LOL...

Anyway, we'll probably start out with some CTRs next
spring and move up as he gets confidence. Our local
CTR group has 15 mile rides that are a good way to get
your feet wet, LOL...

I love having a little riding buddy out on trail. I
was hoping my student would be that buddy. she's
fearless on trail, but her mom has other plans for
her, I guess....

chris

--- Paddi <seamstob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have headed out on the last three rides with my
ducklings (as gramma calls them ) in a row
Sponsoring juniors offers great fun and alot of
responsibility. Sponsoring more then one at a time
is a challenge.
How do you ride with juniors and what are you
setting out to accomplish?
First when I ride with kids I realize that I am
riding there ride not mine. I let them pick the pace
(with some guidance) and I ride at the back letting
them lead and follow the trail.

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus