[RC] Fwd: Torsion Saddles - John Teeter

On Behalf of: Susie Niebergall and Koterja
==================================
From: Shnieb@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:25:03 EDT
Subject: Torsion Saddles
To: ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm a lurker of many years but have decided to venture out of lurkdom to give
my experiences with the Torsion Saddle to maybe help someone out there. This
may be long, sorry, but the details are important. After trying many saddles
including the custom made saddles, saddles where I can add my own shimming,
saddles with panels, spring trees and the BM treeless, I finally settled on the
Torsion (this took four years to try all these). My first attempts with this
saddle were not successful. I was not balanced and had to work so hard to two
point that I got winded. I also used a Supracore and got scuffing where the
pressure from the stirrups band that crosses over the base of the wither area.
After that the saddle sat in the bottom of my barn for eight months while I
tried to find a treed saddle that worked. Out of frustration I tried the
Torsion again. I took the wood out to the pommel and to my surprise the saddle
spread very wide over the withers and the seat dropped down and I cou
ld balance. I was unable to get wool to stuff the pommel with but was able to
get horsehair from Colin Dangard (he lives about twenty minutes away from me).
After the balance was corrected I was concerned about my seat bones creating a
pressure point. I purchased a pad from the Torsion people and added in modified
shims from the ZES saddle. For those who are not familiar with these pads/shims
they are made with what looks like the same Equifoam that Skito uses in their
pads, only with neoprene, a thin layer of plastic and another layer of neoprene
glued on to the foam. I cut these to create a narrower 'twist' feeling for my
seat and support so there is no bottoming out feeling that other treeless
saddles have (i.e. BM).The plastic helps spread the pressure using the same
principle as the panel saddles. These pads also make the saddle more latterly
stable and I am able to mount without using an aide. The seat pad that comes
with the saddle runs under your leg and I find it uncomfor
table. A sheepskin over the saddle takes away that problem. I ride the saddle
with the Supracore in the hot weather. I tried the Dixi Midnight, trying to
keep the bulk down, but it didn't work. My horse wiggles side to side a lot and
it took his hair right off. Loin rubbing is an issue I'm still dealing with but
it is slight. Another problem I have is that I cannot use wool on my horse, he
itches and twitches and bucks. At least the horse is not in pain from wither
pressure and loin rubbing. Yes, this saddle is wide and so is my horse but it
is worth reconditioning myself to have my horse happy. The change in my horse
is extraordinary. He is more extroverted, happier and has more energy. He is
relearning to extend at all gates. His back has filled in behind the withers
and developed more muscle along the whole length of his back (the Spinalis and
Longissimus muscles). He looks great, feels great and rides better. His trot is
even smother. I have been riding this saddle combination
since January and completed 420 miles by the end of May. Including a three day
155 mile ride and a two day 100. I just completed an open NATRC ride where they
go over the horses back looking for any soreness so points can be deducted (my
horse and I won, Sweepstakes and High Point Team and he won High Point Arab). I
can successfully say that I no longer have any back soreness! Just the rubbing
that comes and goes with the winter coat. Yes, the saddle takes a bit to get
used to riding. It is a cross between a treed saddle and bareback. I can ride
lightly in the saddle, enough that I won the Horsemanship Open. All in all, I
would say that I have finally found a saddle that works for the both of us. I
miss the rider support from a treed saddle, but it worth the sacrifice to have
my horse happy and healthy.
Susie Niebergall and Koterja