[RC] Fall Ride Preparation - rides2far

What are the usual weather conditions at these rides?

Skymont is on top of the Cumberland Plateau. Temps tend to be cooler up
there than down here in the valley. Last year a very damp fog rolled in
all day Friday and you could barely see 25' away. I believe ride day was
cool autumn weather. There's lots of shade if there's still any leaves on
the trees and you spend some time along the brow where there's usually a
breeze.

My horse already has a nice winter coat on and will
she need to be lightly body clipped or not?

I'd say if you're taking it easy you should be fine in normal weather.

Is it possible to ride a slow pace at the Skymont
Ride?

You've got as good a chance of going slow there as anywhere I know. The
woods are thick and you've seldom got a view of horses very far ahead.
There's lots of single track that's pretty slow go. It's not an inch
under 25 miles and is the sort that if you *really* goofed off a lot you
might have to be conscious of cut off time.

This will be my horse's first LD ride, is this> a good ride for her?
(She had done a NATRC ride 2> years ago...in the early Spring...and did
well).

I think so.

What> kind of elevation changes are there at Skymont?

You never leave the top of the plateau. No climbs of any consequence,
just some ups & downs in small gorges, or long gradual climbs from lower
areas.

Anyone else planning on going that plans to go at a
slower pace?  (The ride site said this is a fast-paced> ride).

Who said that? Hahira is fast. Soperton is fast. Skymont isn't. There's
places where you make good time but it's surely no race track.  I'll have
Bekki Crippen there I suppose. I'd like for her to take it easy but I
imagine her horse will move right along at a steady pace.

Can anyone tell me more about the Pineville Turkey
Trot?

Haven't a clue. Good luck and see ya if you decide on Skymont. :-)

Angie

Now includes pop-up blocker!