Re: [RC] I need advice on picking up feet - heidi

Excellent points Ed! My gelding had minimal handling when I first got him and would not let you touch his back legs, let alone his feet. After my farrier worked with him he was better for her, but I needed to work with him more on my own. I'm not really into clicker training, but it's what worked for Ash! Started with a small lift/click/reward, until all I had to do was point and say "foot" and he'd hand it to me. He's darn near perfect for picking up feet now!

heidi

Ed Kilpatrick <whytrotfarms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
angie,  i have found that it is very important to get the horse accustomed to being touched all over the leg, down to the foot, and on the foot before trying to pick the foot up.   many people make the mistake of rubbing, tapping or doing something irritating to the horse to make it pick up the foot.  i think it is much better to condition the horse to being touched all over the leg and foot first,  if he picks up his foot while you are rubbing or touching his leg, just keep touching until he relaxes and puts his foot down.  you want him to stand still and not move his leg or foot regardless of where you touch it. then, when you are ready to pick up the foot, just grasp firmly above his foot, flex it at the fetlock and pick it up.  if necessary, just push your shoulder into him a bit to get his weight shifted, making it easier to pick the foot up. hold it for a few seconds and put it back down.  gradually build up to a longer interval of time holding up his foot, and while holding it, rub, and tap on his foot to get him accustomed to it being handled..  it is very important that if he pulls his foot away, pick it right back up, hold it briefly then put it down, so that he will understand not to pull away, but instead will wait for you to decide when to put his foot down.   picking up horses' feet can sure make a person nervous, so just remember to breathe and relax while doing so.       ed

Heidi-aerc#M20935 /\_/\~ http://www.synjinarts.com
~~/~~ \\~~~~ (Wildlife/Western & Equine
| \~~~~~~
| \~~~~

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail ? CNET Editors' Choice 2004. Tell them what you think.