[RC] Minors at Tevis....sponsor a first timer instead - Maureen A. Fager

Jessica said "I've opted to wait until 2006, when I will be able to ride alone. That is, if college, my senior year of high school, a job, and a number of other events that go on in this transition time don't keep me from it. In that case, it'll be a long while until I ever get to try. And I hope they still run Tevis by then, because I would love to be apart of that proud group to say "Yea, I've got a Tevis buckle."

What you have mentioned is what every adult rider of Tevis, and every other endurance ride, faces daily in order to participate in rides.

Perhaps you can reframe the problem. In order to ride in '05 you need a "sponsor." Perhaps you can "sponsor" and adult rider for their first Tevis ride. In other words, lots of first time adult Tevis riders try the ride every year. Why not help them out. Heck, as an experienced endurance rider, with rave reviews from folks about your ability and experience, and with a mother to crew, you just might find the "sponsor" to die for.
You could advetise for the right sponser, interview them, just like a job interview, (might want to include mom in this) and could come up with the right sponser for you. Yeah, still having to ride with a sponsor, but....the sponsor you have chosen yourself.

Think about it, might solve your problem in a creative way, and help some poor adult rider, who wants to ride Tevis as bad as you do, get their buckle too.

Best,
Maureen