Re: [RC] Tevis 2005-long-PLEASE READ - youth and risks - Ed & Wendy Hauser

No matter how skilled youth is, youth does not have experience and caution.

This is the reason that combat soldiers are 18, and Generals >50.

When I was young I drove my sports car through the W Virginia hills at 90-100 mph racing GTO.  Now a curse youth who pass me when I am 20 mph under the speed limit on a mountain road (of course, I do usually have 4 horses in tow)

The list is endless.  While there are individuals who have the judgment to ride Tevis at 16, and others who don't have the judgment to ride Tevis at 61, our society has picked 18 as being the age when we have developed enough judgment to sort of be trusted with adult responsibilities.  It is a good AERC rule.

Ed

PS.  On the other hand I have a hard time understanding why a couple of "adult" responsibilities (alcohol usage, and pistol purchase) are postponed until 21.  They do not seem to me to be that much harder than some other  "adult" responsibilities (military service, contracts, rifle purchase, and picking our nations leaders) that are given at age 18.  I personally feel that a logical society would confer all rights and privileges of adulthood at the same time.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx