Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Tevis 2005-long-PLEASE READ - Courtney Giardina

I'm not sure how they could organize exceptions to the rule. Maybe you have to prove you can do it by completing a certain number of rides unsponsored? I'm not sure.. one of the reasons why I wrote is to get opinions. I understand where the office is coming from, and how some younger people are not fit to ride the trai alone- but a lot of older people aren't fit to the trail alone either. That's why they put in the 150 miles + rule, which I completely agree with, and I would encourage them to either raise the milage, or make it that the HORSE and rider have to have that many (but thats another topic). My age (I don't feel) has a lot to do with the fact that I can't handle the Tevis trail. I know that trail better than any other trail of an endurance ride that I've attempted. I know what it's like to "hit the wall" and ride through it. I sprained my ankle on one ride, at mile 13, and I rode until the end. The fact that I'm 17 as opposed to 18, seems like its only a liablity in situations like if I fall off a cliff, it will make the Western States organization look bad in a higher degree since I"m a minor. I know stuff like that can happen, and I've had accidents before.
My point is, when I ride as a junior rider, I'm not competing at the same level as everyone else. I feel that instead of it being a tool to get me through the ride it will hinder my performance. I will compete at someone else's pace, and strategies to get through the ride instead of my own. I know what you're talking about when you say you ride with other people on hard rides. I do it in sections too, as it pushes my horse and motivates him to do well in hard situations, but in all of the rides I've done unsponsored, I've never ridden with someone for more than 10 miles. I prefer to pace myself. I feel that I'm more qualified to do this ride than some people who enter (foreign riders who borrow another horse, newbies who just want to try it). I've even talked to people who sign up for Tevis before they even complete their first ride. I've been doing endurance for years, and I feel like I'm ready to take that challenge.