RE: [RC] Handling the Horse & Shoes - Jim Holland

Kelly, your horse will be expected to allow the Vet to do ALL those things
described in Article 8...including picking up all 4 feet...and to stand
quietly while it's going on.

It doesn't happen frequently, but it's not uncommon for a Vet to disqualify
a horse because of behavior.  I have seen it happen quite a few times.

You will probably be in a lot of lines waiting for vets, waiting for timers,
waiting to start, etc. Other riders do not exactly appreciate having to
dodge an unruly horse...it's dangerous to riders and other horses.

I wrote the articles for just that reason...to provide some insight into
what is expected of you and your horse at a ride.  Keep in mind that the
behavior of your horse is also an issue if the horse has to be treated.  For
example, if your horse sustained an injury to a rear limb and you can't
handle her back feet, it makes it difficult for the treatment Vet to isolate
the problem and treat it.

Just as you are responsible for your horse's welfare, you are also
responsible for her behavior.

As to shoes, it depends on the quality of your horse's feet and the type of
terrain...and your personal preferences.  Many of the rides in the SE are
flat, sandy, with no rock.  There are also those where you need not only
shoes, but pads.  When in doubt, call the Ride Manager and ask for a
recommendation.

After you have volunteered at a few rides, you will gain the knowledge you
need to determine what would be a best first ride for you.  Be sure to
attend the "new rider" session held after the ride meetings in the SE.  You
can get most of your questions answered there.  Everyone will be happy to
help you get started.  (Hang out around the Vet Checks....You will also get
to see what is required of a horse from a behavior standpoint)

Good luck....hope to see you out there.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic