[RC] How to stop Horses swinging their butts away from the mounting block. - Nina Vasiliev

Horses do step away from the mounting block so that their backs are too far away to be mounted. This is a mild kind of avoidance behavior.

I broke the goal of mounting from a mounting block into steps.

First, my horse had to stand parallel to the mounting block.
Second, he needed to stand still when I swung my leg over his back.
Third, he waited for a signal before moving off.

So, this will be about step one.
Put him in a halter and lead, I carried a Parrelli "carrot" stick but a lunge whip will do, just hold the handle of the lunge and the lash. Tap him with the stiff part of the whip.

Don't plan on getting on the horse for this lesson.

I put the mounting block against a fence and I stood on it with my back against the fence. Hold the lead close enough so that he can't get his head too far away from you, but loose enough for him to be able to move. I moved him so that he was sort of parallel to the block but not close enough to get on. Then, I stretched my arm with the "stick" in it over his back and I started tapping his far hip. If he took the slightest step to bring his side closer to me I instantly stopped tapping. If he moved away, I increased my tapping, not letting up until he took one step back in my direction, which would swing his hip towards me. Then I stopped and let him think about it for a few minutes. If while I'm letting him rest, he steps away, I immediately started tapping again until he again swings his hip one step in the right direction.

Now to clarify: I am tapping the FAR hip so that he will move the close hip towards me. He is to move away from the tapping, closer to me. It will take him a few wrong tries before he understands what you are asking. Stay calm. If he moves closer, stop tapping right away. If he moves away, up the tapping till he steps closer.

Once you reliably get him to move over one step closer, then ask for another step, pause when he steps, ask again then pause after one step, until he moves his hip so that his side is against the mounting block. Let him stand there and think about what he has learned. Pet him, give him scratches.

Some horses will need to stop their lesson here for the day.

Once you continue his training, then ask him to switch sides, to have him swing his butt so that his other side will be against the mounting block. He needs to be able to do this on both sides.

IF it is going well, have him move from having one side next to the mounting block and then swing his hind end in an arc so that he has brought his other side next to the block. He should do this in both directions.

Quit for the day. Repeat the next day. He should be able to do this pretty well with just a few lessons. The first lesson will longest. Soon whenever you ask, he will move his hips over so that he is parallel to the mounting block and he will wait there.

This is the first step in getting him to stay put and not swing his butt away when you get ready to mount, and it gives you a cue to use when you want to ask him to move closer to you.

Once he is good at this, then move on to teaching him the next step; holding still while you swing your leg over his back and sit down in the saddle.

Nina Vasiliev

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx