Re: [RC] physiology & conditioning - Susan Young

My dad said the VERY same thing!  WHY do I give my guys 2 weeks off...rarely riding during the season except for the rides.  When he used horses & mules to plow with, they worked HARD every day except Sunday.

I was offended he'd even use "PLOW" and "ENDURANCE" in the same breath! LOL!  But, work is work.  Different muscles are used but they are still used a lot.

I'd be interested to read of other's experiences and research findings on this subject as well.  DOES the soft tissue need extended periods of rest when no injury has occured?  SHOULD we be schooling our endurance horses sooner?

Flat track horses MAY get light rides but get an extended period of rest between races.  Granted, those are stalled horses.  However, they go no where NEAR 50 miles and our horses will put as much effort in the "sprint" to the finish (very often 1 mile or better) as a flat track horse will.

Given the fact that each horse is different, SHOULD we be giving the endurance horses so much rest?

Paul Latiolais <latiolp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
THE QUESTION: Why the extended rest? What is the particular
physiological issue

Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)