[RC] aussie saddles - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Dawn Simas dawnsimas67@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My Mom rode english and my dad is a western cowboy, but when I met an aussie
"ringer" (cowboy) from down under that worked as a Syd Hill saddle maker and he
told me about their saddles, I have never ridden anything else.  This was back
in '86.  I bought a Syd Hill that is now 20 years old with 1000's of miles and
is a true quality saddle and I have *never* come off a horse with it.  Even in
the training process with green arabs and a wild bucking mare I had, even back
in the day of "shotgun" starts in endurance.  I post in it just fine, have the
freedom of an english saddle, but the security if I need it.  This is why
Australians developed them, they ride hard in very rough country and cannot
afford to come off a horse.  Watch the riding in the end of Man From Snowy
River, and you'll also notice that they all post the trot.  The saddle needs to
fit you properly to get that freedom plus security.

One thing these saddles did do for me was give me more confidence on a horse
that I otherwise may have been afraid to ride.  The horse picks up on that
confidence and gets security from it.  I truly believe this.

As for comfort for the horse, they are more padded than an english and
can/should be reflocked when necessary.  Also Colin Dangaard of Australian
Stock Saddle Co. in Malibu also developed and sells a wide range of hybrid
style aussie saddles now for Americans.  Similar to endurance saddles with the
skirting for better weight distribution, but deep seat (if you want it, he can
build it as shallow or deep as you like) and poleys.  He will custom fit you
and your horse with whatever you desire.  I have bought two of his for my new
quarter horses that the Syd Hill is too narrow for.

Colin also sells a video on Australian Riding and the Stock Saddle, it's very
good at explaining things for you Barbara.  Find it on their website:
www.aussiesaddle.com

Dawn