Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Andalusian/Arabians crosses & Prices....

Hi Laurie
I applaud you Andalusian breeders for conscientious breeding and wish
more Arab breeders would follow suit. The main reason Arabians go so
cheaply now is the overpopulation, many of them winding up at
auctions--- so many that it is difficult making a living in this field
so most of the biggest breeders now are semi "hobbyists"-- as in Ventura
Farms where Murdock makes his living in Real Estate, pineapples, etc and
uses Arabians as his passion( he loves his horses!)/entertainment (and a
healthy tax write-off I am sure). The bulk of the smaller breeders who I
have talked to in CA say that they cannot make it for a reasonable
profit here and all have another source of income. I am happy if my
horses pay for themselves at this point, although I have made a little
in good years-- but nothing compared to what I could have made pursuing
my degree (but horses are oh-so-much more satisfying ;-)  )
So many of the breeders of very athletic horses who are not rich are
breeding less (and in my case are finding buyers for the foals before
they breed--- i.e. mare leases-- it appears to be the more responsible
thing to do given the current overpop problem and the knowledge that
someone appreciates your program and is willing to pay for the quality
you produce--- and not just looking for a bargain (yes, i shop at
Walmart, too, and sometimes you really luck out but I usually go to a
different store or "brand" which has a good reputation for something
that my life depends on :-)  ))
Hope your breed sticks to its guns and quality breeders are paid for the
quality they produce so that they may continue to breed quality.
Bette