[RC] Aussie saddle - Julie Fuller

Barb,

I have been riding is Aussies for years, and I love them. Having ridden western and english also, I have to say I most definitely prefer Aussie.

I have a Syd Hill Dingo Poley, with flaps and traditional leathers (as opposed to their version with western style fenders) which I bought from Cool Downunder in CO. It has fit damn near anything I've ever put it on, is very comfortable and well made. My husband has a one of a kind endurance saddle made by/for the Australian Stock Saddle Company in Malibu CA. It's a great saddle too.

Both of these saddles have big stuffed panels to distribute weight. They are sheepskin lined. And while they ARE heavier than most endurance saddles, I've NEVER cared about that: It's fit for horse and rider that is the most important.

My husband is a high-intermediate rider, and has ridden some really spooky, athletic horses. When he first started in endurance, it was with a Abetta western style saddle and rode a green Paso/Arab mare. He fell off all the time! Then he switched to an Aussie, and had no trouble at all sticking.

I've had many, many close calls, falls, wrecks, whatever while riding, and I cannot remember the last time I came off. Really. Aussies are like wearing seatbelts!

As to Bette's comments about not being able to post in the one she tried, let me say there are a lot of different models of Aussie and it can make a difference. I have found that the endurance models have the poleys (like the pommel swells on a western) set lower, which is to facililitate leaning foward and standing a trot. But it can make sitting a trot a little more difficult, especially if you've got a horse with a big springy trot.

I went with the Dingo because the poleys are set higher and more forward than the endurance models. I can get into every position imaginable with little effort. The only thing I've noticed and have to remember is not to lean too low while charging up a steep hill.... I get the front of the saddle in the chest!

When I got my first aussie, I had been riding in a Wintec dressage saddle, and the aussie seemed SO MUCH more deep seated... it was weird for a while. And I did feel a bit "out of touch" with my horse at first, but again, I adjusted. I also use a much thinner pad.

The most important advice I can offer when looking at Aussies is DON'T by a cheap one! They are absolutely junk. They don't fit right, they are made of cheap leather, and won't hold up to endurance. I had two cheapies before I got smart. They aren't woth the money to haul them to the dump. And they certainly won't give you an idea of what a joy a real aussie is!

Julie
Washougal WA