Re: [RC] [RC] andalusians in endurance Ed Kilpatrick, Apology - Elin Pendleton

On Oct 5, 2004, at 7:52 AM, DRG1 wrote:

<x-tad-bigger>These were the actual prices I was quoted back in 1983 for a warmblood filly weanling that was in Missouri. I didn’t/couldn’t afford it back then.
</x-tad-bigger>

Check out the classifieds on equine.com and look at the prices. I have found a HUGE number of paints and quarters (talk about saturation of the market).
Like all horses, numbers determine the price, and breeds have surges in popularity. Warmbloods are still in demand by the dressage, eventing, hunting and english crowds, so they have a broad discipline attractiveness. Quarters have ulitity, and paints have they mystery and intrigue of color patterns, in addition to being useful for many disciplines. The saturation of the market and the downsides of breeding to an impossibly useless show standard is hurting the numbers and the quality.
I remember the American Cocker Spaniel and the German Shepherd dogs suffering a similar fate.
You can buy a horse without color attributes out of the ordinary (brown) on the cheap for most breeds not in the minority. Interestingly, the "rare" breed color for the Andalusian is a bay. There is one for sale, and the price is 'way over the market norm!

On crosses, my first great horse (after a few others) was a 3/4 Peruvian and 1/4 Appaloosa mare. Outwalked everything on the trail, and could be collected into a gait, too, although I had to train for it. Hated to sell her but at the time, my financial condition wouldn't support a horse...
--
Elin Pendleton, AAEA, WAOW, NAPA
The Paintings: http://www.elinart.com