[RC] smashed helmuts - Mary Ann Spencer

The two helmuts I cracked were not 'smashed' and one had cost me $55.  I hit a hard packed direct rock road when my horse spooked while galloping.  Did not know my hat was broken til I got back to camp.  Used my daughters to complete the 50 miler.  She wasn't riding but was crewing for me.  Had lots of back aches that day.  That was in 2002 and was the first time I cracked one.  I have been wearing a hard hat of some kind since 1980 when I used a rock climbing helmet.

The 2nd one was cracked in 2004 when my horse bolted and by the time I got him turned he did a fast 180 turn and dropped me.  That was a $30 hat and both felt the same when I hit.  I was a bit more stunned the 2nd time.

Don't know where that helmet is is now.

Tell everyone that the arms and legs can be rebuilt but the brain cannot.  WEAR the DAMN hat!!!   It was required by my kids from the beginning.  I used to be about the only one on the endurance rides back in the 80s with a hard hat on and wearing that postage stamp saddle.

                                                         Mary Ann