[RC] Fear - Dyane Smith

I had three increasingly bad falls on the same, new horse.  The first fall didn't really affect my confidence.  The second (that broke bones) did, but I found some training Fox really liked (Harry Whitney) and very, very slowly started riding him.  Even rode him over a no-hands metal railroad bridge with a rocked creek below.  Then one day, I got on him, feeling confident and happy and he started bucking.  Not bad bucks.  The kind of little bucks we all ride out anywhere anytime, but I froze.  I couldn't see, or hear.  I remember him bucking for what seemed like a long time and thinking I should grab the saddle horn.  As I reached for it, he unloaded me.  I don't remember the fall, but I might have gotten hung up in the stirrups as I had a bad gash on one of my ankles.  The next thing I knew I was lying on my back thinking, "good, I'm off the horse and I'm still alive."

I guess I think my reaction was a kind of post-traumatic stress syndrome.  I never expected to feel that way, but it was like being asleep and trying to wake up.  I was in a cocoon of my own fear.

Fortunately, I realized that the third fall was more my fault than anyone's.  Fox has turned into a horse that is so quiet and good, a child could ride him.  Who would ever have thought?  And I got help by taking him to Bryan Neubert for a week-long clinic.

Dyane