[RC] arab numbers - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: lisa salas, the odd farm jsalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Truman,
Arabs are not as expensive as they once were.
I just bought a mare,(why???What the heck is wrong with me??)
for way less than $1000. She is registered, very athletic and forward and has a
good mind. The lady that owned her before me
needed to get rid of her horses. Unfortunately,she acted like
a fruitcake when we did the pre-purchase exam, did a little weaving in her
stall and over all, looked like a lot of work. And yet, I bought her anyway.
Dear Lord, help me!

As it turns out, she is wonderful! And we didn't have to do
a lot of work. It is just like my message on my answering machine says, "To
train an Arab, one has to be
smarter than the horse. Unfortunately, few people qualify."
(Yes, I got that off ridecamp ;)Not that I qualify either, I just keep getting
very forgiving horses, bless their big hearts!

There are a lot of very cheap, wonderful Arabs out there. I really don't think
price is an issue. Yes, it would be nice if AHA would promote this breed more
as the all around, safe, sound, trail horse that they are. I can't tell you how
many times I have been asked, "What kind of horse do you ride?" and I tell them
Arabs. The response is always the same. "Really? Why??"

I kinda like being the minority. We have something very special and I don't
think I want to share it with just anyone. So what if our breeding numbers are
lower. Maybe we are breeding smarter. So what if half the horses are 15 years
old. That is the best age to ride. Not everyone even DESERVES to ride an
Arabian.

Now don't get me wrong, I love ALL breeds. They all have special qualities
about them. Even Loony Lance is "special" in his own way. But Arabians make ME
feel special. Their beauty and grace makes everyone oooh and ahhhh! Riding them
makes all the problems and worries of the day disappear. Yes, just riding any
horse is certainly relaxing but not the same.

The majority of us ride Arabs. Not all of us are winning so we must be riding
them because we enjoy them. Do we need to share with everyone else how
wonderful they are? Then everyone will want one,(mostly the people who have no
business owning ANY horse) the prices will shoot up again and we won't be so
"special". Is that selfish?

Lisa Salas, The Odd farm

You don't know what miserable is until you have tried to live in Florida in
August and September without air-conditioning. I read domestic violence is out
of control. And what you are not paying for in electricity, you are paying 4
times as much in Hotel and resturant bills.
We just had our electricity turned back on 2 days ago from the hurricane.
John's business had no electric either. When Progress Energy show up with a
convoy he said he never felt such a strong urge to kiss a grown man! John gave
the guy our home address and asked the head guy if he could go to our house
next to get our juice turn on. The guy explained that they had to follow thier
work orders. John said, ever so seriously, "That's ok. I guess there is no
hurry.
I already killed my family." He said the guy turned ghost white and John told
him he was just kidding. They were at my house a few hours later. Deperate
times call for desperate measures.
If I hear one more chainsaw, see one more pile of trees or have to clean out my
refridgerator one more time, I'm moving!
Oreano, Idaho is looking pretty darn good to me right now!