[RC] GPS usuage and where to buy-try Radio Shack - Mary Ann Spencer

I bought one at the PX in Kuwait as the Radio Shack in NC was sold out.  I have not used it much as it is going to take concentration and learning to be able to use it.  If I am going to do endurance again I really need to learn to use it as I lost a fifty mile finish when I was dehydrated and quit too soon, only to find out I was not very far from the finish.  Such is life.  My GPS is a bit complicated to use.  It is a Magellan SportTrak and is supposed to give you the trail distance etc.  Guess I better learn to use it.

How are people carrying them on horseback?

The military is using them but they are buying them with their own money and getting whatever brand they can get.

For general compass direction, I used my compass watch in Iraq when we got lost in Apr 03.  The good part was that it worked in the Ford expedition we were driving where a regular compass gets off with the magnetic pulls of the metal engine.  That meant we did not have to stop.  We were on a little mission with 4 of us and the guys out voted me on the mapreading but I was right so they did not argue with my map reading after than.

Sigh, so much hi tech stuff to learn to use.  When I started endurance, 20 yrs ago, a heart monitor was the only high tech device.
                             Mary Ann