RE: [RC] Bucking under saddle - LaBrake, Denise A

Well, it worked!! >>>>>Buck = smack with crop and loud NAAHHH. Put leg on.
IT may take 5 or 6 of these!!!!
Last night was our first ride sense you gave me the tip.

She was doing okay but got bored because we were at home of course.
Implemented
the smack with crop and loud NAAHHH. Put leg on...and it only took one of
these and
after every time she started to miss behave after she would straighten up
with the crop touch or
now, I even tried the Nahhh..by it self and it worked!!

Apparently she knows all about this lesson, the entire ride afterwards she
was fine even
under trot and canter. I need to keep the crop with us for awhile!

The crop I'm using is actually not a crop. The trainer told me to use this
instead, she only
needs to be touched with it somewhere. It's longer than a crop enough to
reach bottom of her side and
to the rear side of her butt nicely with no effort for me. It just has a
fuzzy end. Don't know what they call them.
But I know what a crop is. I've used it to teach her to go forward when she
had fear and before I knew I had a leg!
LOL!

I guess I need it present until she gives up on the idea. Probably once we
put on a few hundred miles.

Any tippers on getting her on a trailer quicker then 15 minutes?? :D

***********************************

Thanks Allison.

She has was green broke to ride at 5 years old, no other training prior
except the herd life. And, the 5 years I have had her I was unable to ride
the past 3 years because of an ATV accident I was recovering from. So I only
spent 2 years with her but I was not aggressive. I mostly worked on bonding
with her. We did a lunge before every activity back then and it worked. But
now I don't have the time during the week for a lunge. We need to move
forward and I can say early in her rides she behaves.

I have been doing the leg thing and pushing her by where she wants to go.
And every time she bucks I circle her, make sure what and we go back to
where we were and start over.
She thinks she won, you went back.  GO FORWARD!!!!!

Last night had to take her a 1/4 mile  back
because she started out up the hill trotted, then cantered, adding some
bucking, by the time I got to the top she was in a full out gallop trying to
buck as well.

Buck = smack with crop and loud NAAHHH. Put leg on. IT may take 5 or 6
of these!!!!

So you are saying to give her my leg when she starts bucking. I know I have
not done this, I thought it would make it worse.

Oh, I know it is a "I don't wanna" issue. No doubt about it and sometimes I
think it is a fun issue. When I ask her to trot or she goes on her own. She
starts the bucking, I don't know if she wants to get me off and trot down to
the horses a mile away or what. She just dies to go down there.

If its crow hoppy bucking, just reach back with your crop, smack her
butt,say Naah! and send her forward with your leg.  The key word is FORWARD.
Skip the circle, just go FORWARD!

Some people tell me to slap her, but I do not agree. The persistence will
eventually sink in as long as I am consistent with correcting her, correct?

The trainer taught me to right with my arms at right angle and my two hands
almost touching her mane and very light on her bit just til I can feel her
use of it. This makes her scoop her head down and she was trained to please
by doing this. It's funny as heck because sometimes when she keeps trying to
get her way all of a sudden she will put her head down real low just as if I
was lunging her. All happy and stuff. I'm always on guard with her, I know
she is tricking me!

Yes, when she is not bucking, perfect position.  Good way to go flying
if she's in bucking mode.  The raised rein position is just to make sure she
can't get her head down to buck.  If all you are really getting is crow hops
and she is going forward, don't worry about it.  The one I've just worked
thru this would do both, trot, trot, trot, stop dead, giant buck AND  Trot
trot, canter BUCK transition.  The first one is rude and unacceptable, the
second is a consequence of getting off balance and rearanging legs the only
way he knew how.  I would just scold him for the second and try to gather
him a little for the next transition.  The first, was met with a reaised
rein, big growls and 3 second punishment when I was sure I was no longer
about to go flying!

Maybe we just after to establish our under saddle relationship and maybe she
is thinking she can try to be the boss still when I'm in the saddle. On the
ground she respects me and we never have an issue. Stands for everything
very willing.

I will stay in tune to riding her and not become distracted and see how we
do.

Thanks a bunch Allison!

Denise