Re: [RC] Persimmon trees - firedancefarms

I was very disappointed to read the EQUUS's article on poisonous plants and they not mention persimmons.  I also had a horse die of an enterolith from Persimmons.  The pulp makes an indigestible ball in their stomach.  The enterlith was about the size of a softball, you could barely cut it with a saw, and it had no seeds.  It was lodged in the pyloric sphincter.  OSU was doing some research on it, I believe.  Our horses were crazy about them.  One horse would actually stand on her hind legs to reach them.  We ended up spending major money to have them all dozed down on our 100 acres.  Although it was expensive, it sure beats having to drylot them from Nov to Feb!
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms