Fwd: [RC] elevator ride thoughts - Marinera

In a message dated 09/27/04 8:06:05 AM, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<  I

see elevators as primarily being a tool to help less experienced riders

jump from the LDs to the 50s.  >>

In many cases people choose an elevator ride to bring back an experienced
endurance horse that has had a layoff. The 25 gives them a pretty good
indication
if the horse is ready to assume the longer distance that he was accustomed to
prior to the layoff.
Julie
--- Begin Message ---
Riders that elevate only qualify for completion and miles, no matter
what the order of finish may be.  Does this include weight division
points also? (I don't have a rule book handy)

If one is doing well enough at one distance to feel comfortable moving
up, he is probably doing well enough to gain bonus points at the present
distance, at least wgt division points.  There is not much incentive to
jump up just for mileage.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong--but doesn't "completion only" still give
you the points (at the usual rate of one point per mile) as well as the
mileage, but just no additional points for placing?  Seems like this is
more than fair for being able to hedge one's bets and stop at a shorter
distance.

Additionally, most elevations are from the LD to the 50, in my
experience--where folks are NOT yet in the points hunt, per se.  And as
such, just being able to go on and do the distance is usually the goal.
Just my personal opinion, but I think most folks who are already riding
50s have a pretty good idea if they are ready to enter 75 or not, and I
see elevators as primarily being a tool to help less experienced riders
jump from the LDs to the 50s.  Those of us who have already been around
the block who choose to drop back to LDs for other reasons don't need
them, either--we drop back to LD precisely BECAUSE we are not ready (for
whatever reason) to do 50, and we don't need the choice.

If I was to sanction a ride now (believe me I'm not) I would do an
elevator with an extra award for any one who succeeded in moving up.

I agree--I think it is great to recognize the folks who "take the plunge"
and step on up to a higher distance!

Heidi