RE: [RC] rattlesnakes - Melissa Alexander

Western Washington has one or two very, very limited areas where
rattlesnakes have been seen. But mostly the only snakes you'll find here are
garter snakes.

Our weather has changed quite a bit in the last several years. No longer do
we have the 300 days of gloom and drizzle followed by three glorious months
of sun and 70s. We had three years in a row of bonafide drought, and though
the rainfall amounts are back to normal overall in the last couple of years,
the rain is coming differently.

Now we get good, hard soakers instead of drizzle, and we have lots of sun.
We also have temps way hotter than it used to be. I remember a summer a few
years ago where we had 5 days over 80. This year most of the June, July, and
the first half of August were over 80, and we had plenty of periods over 90.
There were a couple of periods pushing a hundred in some areas.

Normally we have one tornado a year somewhere in western Washington. This
year we've had 12. We also regularly have thunder and lightning now -- not
anywhere NEAR on par with the storms in the rest of the country, but more
than what we used to have. (When I moved here eight years ago, hearing very
soft, very distant rumbling was cause for a water cooler discussion the next
day!)

Winter temps are still mild, and there's not too much snow. Snow levels are
rising every year. Won't be too many years before the ski resorts are in
trouble. Our winters are supposedly wet and gray, but I've found it depends
on where you live. When I lived in the city south of Seattle, we had lots
and lots of clear, sunny days throughout the winter. At the same time, my
friend north of me in Snohomish county considered changing his name to Noah.

Our fall came a month early this year. We skipped September, and went right
to October. But that was only fair, because we skipped June and went
straight to July/August.

Melissa, who adores western Washington weather