[RC] How to Train a Horse to electric paddock for Camping?? - DRG1

Hi All,

Need some help with this. I bought a electric paddock. We have our own property, & its completely fenced, so I wasn’t worried about a horse getting out on the road etc, when I was going to test it. Last yr, I put a 4YO horse in it 1st time. He was fine. By himself he touched it with his nose 1x, & he knew what it was & didn’t panic ever.

Now, this yr, I put my 5YO mare in it for her 1st time (not a flighty mare either). She paniced! She backed into it in a corner, shocked her butt, then tried to turn to the right – hit her shoulder. So she jumped the fence, disconnected the battery, had 250 ft of tape hanging off her back end & legs, then jumped another 2 ft decorative fence & ran to the barn with the white tape still dragging. It was quite a sight, actually.

My husband was the 1 on the ground trying to watch her, I was riding by when this happened. It is a tribute to the rope horse I was riding, that he stood there & watched while all this tape & a paniced horse raced by him!

But, now I really don’t know how to teach them. I just went by the experience with the 4YO & I thought that was the way to do it…

Thank you for your help!