Re: Re: [RC] Damaged Tendons and Rehab - Stephanie E Caldwell

Thanks to all who responded. Star's back on full stall rest for at least a
week, possibly more. After being out in the paddoc for about 3 hours today
(with no running, some trotting) her tendon is inflammed, hot, and tender.

How do you make handwalking fun? It's torture on both of us right now.

As for her attitude she's on beet pulp and hay now, no grain, but she's still
being hard to handle for the others at the barn. We just moved back to boarding
and she's got a little note on her stall for only the trainers to deal with
her. >ggg< She's on Quietex and had stall toys, but she's just not happy! Any
thoughts on making this more bearable?

Vet said to wrap her leg for the time being, that should provide some
entertainment for her! LOL Being the smart horse she is she'll be unwrapped in
no time.

Steph

Steph,

Rehab is as individual as the horse and the injury...you are heading in the
right direction.

When I had a horse confined after an injury, the first thing suggested to
make the down time tolerable for both of us was a feed change.  Since your
horse
isn't working, cut the calories.  Grain, goodies, sweet feed...as little as
possible.  I fed none at all.  It IS important to give plenty of grass hay or
some such to give the horse something to do.

It also helps to make your handwalking as much fun as possible.  My poor guy
got so bored, and he was pretty fit when he went to rehab.  He was a handful
just to be around.

Although we were dealing with a ligament tear, some injuries are similar to
deal with.  My horse got past his injury, and did some endurance, including a
Tevis completion.

Good luck.

Karen Bottiani

Best regards.