[RC] 'nother cycle of barefoot debate - Teresa Van Hove

To shoe or not to shoe? Two of the saddest things are seeing a horse with overgrown feet (especially with shoes on) and seeing a horse beeing asked to work with ouchy feet. Barefoot movement is great if it gets some overgrown feet people to pull shoes and pull out a rasp or get the farrier out; its awful if some mis-guided owners get the impression that a sore-footed gait is normal, or better than their horses previous way of going.

Shoes)
Advantage -rider convenience, full time protection when riding in rocks, and its easier to keep e-boot on over a shoe for very rocky conditions

myth ) does not allow hoof to expand - If your farrier puts on a shoe such that the heels of your horses hoof cant expand find a better one! I believe that many great endurance horses wore shoes for many many miles and were able to do endurance into their twenties, and retired sound.

Barefoot) advantage -if the horse travels decent and gets enough exercise on somewhat abrasive surfaces they will wear their feet to a good shape for them.

myth) hoof should be hot --they say warm and warm is ok, but I think the cheering for warmth leaves some less experienced horse owners cheering heat instead of taking the action they should when there is heat. - Can anyone say 'road founder'?, There is some research from Australia that icing horses feet can prevent laminitis -They were looking at the too much spring grass type deals but I'm sure icing would be good anytime there was excessive heat in a hoof, just as its good for heat in a tendon or ligament

Boots) I find myself wondering if easyboots applied tightly enough to stay on a bare hoof may actually impede the hoof expansion at the heels -- not stating this as fact 'I' just wonder.

I also wonder about rubbing on the leg above the hoof with the other boots such as the old Macs- having put 1200 'official' miles on a very thin skinned gelding (even when he was younger he would get girth rubs if the neoprene girth was starting to crack, and no way could I just use the velcro girth strap to secure a HRM electrode) I am perhaps overly cautious, but I'll put socks on my horses if I ever try them.

Teresa and Grey and Shade --barefoot in winter when we just hack on nice sand roads and steel shod in the summer when we get into the rocky mountains fairly often -they are not misnamed<g> -and easyboots for occasional rocky rides in winter or over shoes for very rocky rides.

ps. I believe -and I think I have the company of many good horse people that going barefoot when in lighter work, and non rocky conditions is great for horses AND that having a good farrier put on shoes when warranted by amount of work and/or rockier conditions than a horse is used to or comfortable on does not hurt the horses feet one bit.

pps. Last year I googled many barefoot pages, interesting note was that the majority of the folks seeing better results after converting to barefoot had either been doing their own shoeing; or had been in situation of having shoes put on show horses starting at age 2 or younger for no particular reason.