[RC] Hoof health research - Laurie Durgin

Yep, farrier called me. Apologetic, still friends, Been dependable and early for years so it was a blip, personal stuff.

But the barefoot shoe thing has intrigued me for a long time.

Has anyone compiled any real research about barefoot vs. shoeing? Is it even really possible to be objective?
Is it really individual, kind of you don't know till you try it kind of thing? Or if it works for your horse, ok, but it may not for mine. etc.
Both arguments seem reasonable. One being that , horses in the wild didn't carry weight and choose when to move and on what surfaces, so they didn't wear them as much. The other being the natural state may be healthier for building the hoof /foot for circulation and more surface.
Heck, look ,what high heels and and too small shoes do to womens feet. They say where tribal people don't use shoes they don't get the foot problems modern man does. (ah, except those foot worms)
Hey , here is someones PhD. for veterinary school research.
I can see where the terrain you ride in makes a big difference.And the kind of feet your horse has. But what are the other variables? Are there real definitives, like feed 50 mg. of biotin. 10/12% protein, so much magnesium, calcium etc. in diet?
Do all barefooters do similar practices, like feed certain things, advoid certain circurcumstances, use boots at specific times/terrains?

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up ? fast & reliable Internet access with prime features! http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=dialup/home&ST=1