RE: [RC] Barefoot - Linda Cowles

Hi Folks,

I wanted to encourage all of you who are considering leaving your horses
barefoot. My horses have been barefoot for the past 6 months, and I finally
attended a Martha Olivo  clinic a few months ago so that I can learn to trim my
gang myself. I'm being coached by  a good friend who has been trimming for
several years. Hoof trimming, the way Martha Olivo teaches it, is technical,
but it's not rocket science.  I suggest that people attend the 2 day clinics
even if they don't want to trim horses personally; it's a fantastic education.

I haven't started conditioning for endurance - yet - but so far my guys are
moving great, as good as before, and the quality of their feet is improving
dramatically.  I'm not doing a lot of mileage so I ride without boots, but when
conditions warrant it,  I'll use either Boa or Easyboots. I'm never going back
to shoes... I'm a total convert!

I'm very interested in these BOA boots, and will start carrying them at my shop
along with the Easyboots by this summer.

For people curious about learning to trim, hoof grooming takes very little time
or strength if done regularly, and even hard feet are easy to groom with a
sander on a dremmil rotary tool. The term "hoof grooming" describes the process
I use better than trimming;  I "groom" feet when I groom the rest of the horse
- if they need it. Grooming feet takes about 20 minutes a horse spread out over
a two week period, depending on how much barefoot conditioning is done. The
clinic costs are reasonable compared to shoeing expense.

If you're in Northern California, contact Anna or Ilesbeth at 707-485-0405 to
find out more about Martha Olivo clinics or trimming sessions in Redwood
Valley. They are hosting a "trimming session"  this Sunday, January 25th.

Take care, Linda

Linda Cowles
Horse 'N Hound
New, Used & Consigned