Re: [RC] Farriers woes and barefoot - Suzi Maiorisi

I found a new farrier after I told him Holly was forging more this time than she had in the past and his reply was 'Some horses just like to hear their feet hit' OMG!!  New one comes on the 22nd...hopefully he will work on the problem, not just make a comment that has me running the other way!!
Suzi and soon to have her Little Orthopedic Shoes Holly

----- Original Message -----
From: Laurie Durgin
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 3:55 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Farriers woes and barefoot

  I think my farrier is giving me the brush. After 5 years and I thought we
had a good relationship>sigh< Probably got another big barn  and the little
fish had to go. Too bad , he is really good and cheap. Was only charging me
35.00 for front shoes and trim and 55.00 for shoes all around. But 'rich'
people get charged more like a hundred all the way around. I have been
really polite and try to have everyone ready, but he was always a moody
person.
   Sooo. I am thinking of going barefoot. Rascal has really hard hooves
(not pancakes), Honeys are average. I have been told he at least is a good
candidate for barefoot.I'd only done the front as advice was becasue we have
section of rocky/gravelly roads (I could advoid some). He never wore his
backs out in training. And he seems to grow and wear prety even. He grows
up, not forward.
   And I'd buy boots for rocky trails  or if he started to wear too much.
   Does anyone learn to file uneveness off themselves etc. Maybe Ii could
justget  them trimmed when they needed it. They go 8 weeks plus year round
and really it is only the fronts with the shoes  that need trimming, he
hardly ever takes much off the backs.
   Unfortunately, I have heard bad stuff about the other farriers around
here, or else they charge a bunch of $$ . (like one guy 50$ each to trim). I
am going to try and find someone who is ok, but  have been thinking about
the barefoot idea for a while. The circulation thing bothers me. I touch
their unshod hooves and they are warm, but the shod hooves are cold,makes me
wonder what is going on.
  Anybody else have a problem  like lthis and what did you do? I would think
finding a good farrier if you live out far is a problem  too. I hate to pay
an arm and a leg for poor work,and maybe hurt their feet in the bargain.
   If its not the saddle, its the feet, or some disease. . . rant. . . rant.
. . rant

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime