Re: [RC] Boa Boots - website - DreamWeaver

At 09:29 PM 1/20/2004, Barbara McCrary wrote:
Could Boa boots be used for endurance rides or would they rub the skin of
the pasterns?  They appear to come up fairly high.

I'll let you know how they work on my horses. Weaver seems to be a good candidate lately for testing things. I've been trying a bitless bridle on him too. I found out the other day that he can slip out of it quite easily, there is nothing to keep it on his head (no throatlatch like a bridle or halter has). So if you see a horse running loose with really nice shoes on........:+D

The back and upper parts of the boots are made of leather. It will be interesting to see how that affects the back of the horses feet after lots of use. Maybe the feet will need to be wrapped in vetwrap or something for doing 50's. Some horses can't handle the heel pressure of easyboots, and I would guess that the overall pressure applied to the back of foot with a Boa boot would be less, and/or the pressure is going to be applied over a larger area. May work well for some horses, and not others.

I'm following the vets orders to 'ride the snot out of' Weaver, so we'll be getting to put a lot of miles on these trying them out and seeing how they fit, wear, and perform. I'll try to get better photos and update the webshots album. Since he's done so many miles in regular easyboots it will be easy to compare his worn easyboots to the Boa boots and see how the wear compares. He went thru a fair amount of mud and snow today and the boots came off clean inside. Plus, he did not slip. I think that I would want to have a horse well-used to using these before riding them in an endurance ride with them.

Karen
in NV