RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] thoroughbreds and endurance??? - heidi

If in fact it were true that, as you said, "even
though they all trace back to the Darley Arabian", wouldn't they be line
 bred Darley Arabians? It would certainly seem that way to me. The real
question is "do they really all trace back to the Darley". As pure as
the  registries like to believe themselves, I personally dont believe
that, but I  do believe that the influence of Arabian breeding is very
strong in the  modern TB. I see a great similarity to "racing Arabians"
and TB's. I have  seen and owned TB's with very strong Arabian
characteristics. No doubt that  it would be an oversimplification to
call modern Arabs, big Arabians, but  the fact remains that the TB's
have a great deal of influence from Arabian  bloodstock and I am
comfortable with the generalization. One of the great  joys of being a
pompous idiot is that you can do and think whatever you  want.

The problem here is in terminology.  The original post used the
terminology of "tracing in all lines to" the Darley Arabian.  Tracing in
all lines means sire lines, mare lines, 100% of the pedigree.  So kat is
correct that this is not even a biological possibility, to state that
something traces "in all lines to" an individual horse, since there was
(as kat stated) always a parent of the other gender!

That said, the statement that all TBs trace to the Darley Arabian IS
correct.  The TB gene pool is quite small, actually, and if you go back
into old pedigrees, they are monotonously similar.  There were
approximately 20 or so Arabian stallions that had significant influence on
the breed, but if memory serves, there are only two existing tail male
lines in the breed--the others all exist only in the middles of pedigrees.
(Or, it could be that there is still a third line but that it is very
thin--can't recall for sure, and am not going to go digging for the
info--the general message that there is a very tight gene pool is the
same, regardless.)

Yes, there is truth to saying that TBs are linebred to the Darley Arabian
(as well as to the Godolphin Arabian and others)--but it is also true to
say that they are linebred to mares like Old Bald Peg and others.  That is
what happens in a tight gene pool.

Gudea was indeed a very real horse, and yes, you spelled his name right.
He had one registered TB offspring, but it is my understanding that that
offspring did not breed on.  He had numerous QH offspring--not sure how
many, but somewhere in the order of a couple dozen.  He had 26 registered
purebred Arabian offspring.  Offhand, I know I have at least two horses
descended from him myself.  He was bred by J. O. Dickinson of Travelers
Rest, and was owned throughout his life by Miller Arabians, formerly of
Colorado, but more recently located in Red Bluff, CA.  The Millers (next
generation) are still in business.

Heidi