[RC] Old Selam- Dianne and Steph - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Katey Gies heart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Steph and Dianne,
I am so sorry to hear about what happened after Old Selam- that had to be
awful.  I brought my mare home Saturday night.  I don't really like to trailer
that far (3 hours) after a ride, but it had rained all day, blankets were
soaked, it was cold and I weighed the options and decided that I would rather
trailer home where they could be warm and dry than make them stand out in the
cold with damp blankets.  (Yep, it's a lesson to bring extra blankets).
Anyway, Gali was fine that night- I checked her a couple of times through the
night and she was just snoozing in her stall.  Watching her through the week,
she has just seemed very slightly "off".  Not colic symptoms at all, but not
eating with enthusiasm, sleeping more than normal, and her eyes just are not as
bright as they usually are.  The symptoms have been very subtle, and I am
embarassed to say that it took me awhile to catch on.  She is out to pasture
during the day and so it is difficult to monitor exactly how much grass she is
eating, however, the past two nights there has only been one pile of poop in
her stall instead of two.  She hasn't ate her beet pulp very good, just picked
at it.  I didn't catch on right away because that is normal.  Sometimes she
tries to hold out to see if I will actually give her some grain if she doesn't
eat it.
Now, of course, the soonest I can get her in to see the vet is Monday.  Looking
at her last night, I couldn't help but wonder if she ate something toxic, or
what???

Katey